Ingy döt Net
Greetings! My name is Ingy döt Net. I am a software artist and computer language inventor. My passion in life is to see computers solving the real world problems that society faces today. To that end, I continually look for new ideas to make software development simpler, while searching for more ways to socialize those ideas.
With over 25 years of work experience, I have been a vocal leader in Open Source Software for the last 20. I love solving problems in ways that benefit not only my current task, but the art of programming in general. I take the most pride in my works that help people of many programming languages at once. I've coined this effort: Acmeism.
- github, twitter, skype
1122 E Pike St #721
Seattle, WA 98122
- Inventor of YAML - The human friendly data format for all languages
- Primary manager of the YAML language, projects and infrastructure
- Creator of SchemaType - A YAML/JSON Schema language for generating software
- Creator of Pegex - PEG parsing framework for all languages
- Creator of TestML - Elegant, data-driven testing for all languages
- Creator of 2 popular git commands -
git hub and
- Creator of MakePlus - Enhanced capabilities for GNU Make
- Father of Acmeism - Philosophy of pushing all languages forward simultaneously
- Opening Keynote Speaker @ OSDC 2010 in Melbourne
- Given talks at over 50 open source related conferences and events around the world
- Regular speaker at OSCON, OSDC and YAPC type conferences worldwide since 2000
- Prolific module author for Perl (CPAN), Python (PyPI), Ruby (RubyGems), Node.js (NPM), Raku and even Bash
- Top 10 All Time CPAN Author
- Creator of Kwiki - A once popular wiki in the Perl community and used by OSCON
- First lead developer @ Socialtext, the Enterprise Social Software company
- Invented Inline.pm - Bind C, C++ and 20+ other languages to Perl
- My first computer science class was Fortran on punchcards!
- Data :: YAML, JSON, SchemaType
- Language :: Perl, Python, Ruby, NodeJS, Raku, Bash, Haskell, GoLang
- Web :: CoffeeScript, Vue, Jemplate, Bootstrap
- Social :: Acmeism, Wiki, GitHub
- Favorite Tools :: Vim, Git, Tmux, TT2, GNU Make, TestML
- Privacy :: SSL, Tor, OTR, Signal
- Cloud :: Docker, OpenStack, Kubernetes, Ansible, Swagger
- Offline :: Travel, Bicycle Racing
Open Source Projects
- YAML -- Data Language for all programming languages
- TestML -- Testing Language for all programming languages
- SchemaType -- Schema Language for all data languages
- Pegex -- Parser framework for all programming languages
- Jemplate -- Template language for all programming languages
- MakePlus -- GNU Make enhanced
- CafeScript -- CoffeeScript that compiles to all programming languages
- Lingy -- Lisp-like language in JSON that runs in all programming languages
2018 - 2020: ZipRecruiter - Los Angeles, CA
Senior Software Engineer. Helped teams transition to Docker and Kubernetes. Wrote a lot of internal tooling.
2017 - 2018: OpenResty, Inc - Millbrae, CA
Founding Member of promising server technology company. Wrote compilers for several internal languages.
2015 - 2016: Hewlett Packard Enterprise - Seattle, WA
Worked as a Distinguished Technologist on the Cloud Native Application Platform unit.
2014 - 2015: Oui Street LLC - Seattle, WA
A Consulting Partnership with Andrew Cole. Continued work on ActiveState's Stackato PaaS.
2009 - 2013: Oui Code Software, LLC - Seattle, WA
A personal consulting business. Worked on ActiveState's Stackato PaaS platform.
2003 - 2009: Socialtext, Inc - Palo Alto, CA
2002 - 2003: Onyx Neon - Portland, OR
Independent Software Consultant. Perl consulting for local small businesses. Worked on many Open Source projects. Wrote articles for Perl magazines.
2002 - 2002: Databuilt, Inc - Bluffton, SC
Software Engineer. Databuilt was the first company that attempted to automate the construction industry. Wrote Perl code for their mainline product.
2001 - 2002: FatPort, Inc - Vancouver, BC
CTO. Fatport was Canada's first public wifi vendor. I started this company and developed the initial access point system.
2000 - 2001: ActiveState - Vancouver, BC
Software Developer. ActiveState is the company well known for putting Perl on Windows. Developed the Perl Module distribution automation system for their product, ActivePerl.
1989 - 2000: NOTIS/Ameritech/epixtech/Dynix - Evanston, IL
Computer Programmer. This company was a leader in Library Automation Systems for the most prestigious universities East of the Mississippi. Developed various programs in IBM 370 mainframe assembly language. Switched to Perl in 1998. Last 5 years was telecommute based.
1988 - 1989: Allstate Insurance, Inc - Northbrook, IL
Computer Programmer. My first and worst job in computers. Performed maintenance programming on their billing subsystem, in IBM 370 mainframe assembly language.
B.A. Computer Science, 1987
Northern Illinois University
- The complete source code for this resume can be found here
- This resume was written in the Swim markup language which I created based on the Pegex parser framework which I also created.